[MORE INFO] Popup and radio button alignment off by 1 -- MacOSX vs PC

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Mon Apr 19 10:19:00 EDT 2004

On Monday, April 19, 2004, at 02:49  PM, Frank Leahy wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm cleaning up my app and making it work cross-platform, and along
> the way changed all the field, label, and control fonts to Arial.
> This worked pretty well, except for one minor problem -- control
> alignment.
>
> The problem controls are popup menus and radio buttons, which are 1
> pixel lower on the PC than on the Mac.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?
>
> MacOSX 10.2.8, WindowsXP, RR2.2.
>
> Thanks,
> -- Frank
>
> p.s. By the way, the app looks pretty good on XP.  Thanks RR!

It looks like the problem is that labels and fields are 1 pixel higher,
rather than controls being 1 pixel lower.

You can see the problem by doing the following:

1. Create a label.  Make it Arial 12 bold.

2. Create a popup/pulldown menu.  Make it Arial 12, and add 1 item.
Put the popup to the right of the label, and align the bottom of the
text of the label to the bottom of the text in the popup.

3. Move the stack to WindowsXP.

4. The text of the label and the popup will be misaligned by 1 pixel.

-- Frank