basic put URL question

Rich Lague laguer at ucs.orst.edu
Sun Apr 18 13:04:38 EDT 2004

I can't seem to make Rev retrieve text and put it in a field. When I
use:

[put URL "file:/Users/laguer/Documents/Revolutioní/exp í/test.2" into
field "Field 1"]

All I get is a blinking cursor in Field 1.

  I checked the path file by using the "answer file" cmd:

answer file "Import text from what file:" of type "TEXT"
   if it is empty then
     put "Bingo!" into field "Field 1"
     exit to top
   else
     put it into field "Field 1"
   end if

When I use this and select the file "test.2", I get the path to the
file "test.2"  in Field 1, not the contents of the file.

It doesn't work the other direction either. When I try to use the
script:

put "Bingo!" into URL "file://Users/laguer/Documents/Revolutioní/exp
í/test.2.txt"

There is no change in the file test.2.

So, I suspect that I'm doing something very basic wrong...but what?

Thanks,

Rich Lague