SC, Rev,and RB speed test

David Vaughan dvk at dvkconsult.com.au
Sat Apr 17 21:39:14 EDT 2004

On 18/04/2004, at 9:42, "Ken Ray" <kray at sonsothunder.com> wrote:

> If you haven't brought this up on the RealBasic list, you probably
> should to
> be fair... we've had a lot of chances to provide optimized routines;
> I'm
> assuming the RealBasic routine you use is one you developed... someone
> on
> the RB list may have a faster algorithm.
>
> Just looking for fairness in the comparison...

Ken

True enough and I welcome someone else having some fun with it but I
think the point now is that it does not matter if our solutions are
beaten. The perspective of the original problem was 15 seconds in the
current application reducing to 8 (RR) or 1 (RB). Had we achieved, say,
three seconds or better then I would have regarded the speed question
as no longer material to the product decision and I suspect RG would
take a stronger position than that. If 800 milliseconds (~ 20x faster
than SC) is beaten to a pulp at, say, 200mS in an optimised RB strategy
then who cares? Remember that writing a C++ external was explicitly
excluded from the options in the speed test, so speed is not in fact
the be- and end-all.

regards
David