reading win and mac text files on linux

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 17 09:31:12 EDT 2004

--- Martin Baxter <martin at materiaprima.fsnet.co.uk>
wrote:
> For quite a while now I've been moving a large set
> of plain text data files
> back and forth between mac and windows and
> revolution has read and written
> them seamlessly on either platform, regardless of
> the line end characters
> in the files it opens. (I'm just using "put into url
> x", and "put url x
> into", with the "file:" protocol.)
>
> Recently I moved these data files to Linux, read
> them into revolution and
> was surprised that no automatic conversion of line
> endings seems to be done
> when opening them on that platform. The Mac text
> files opened into
> revolution as a single line with a sprinkling of
> ascii 13s, and the PC
> files all have a spare ascii 13 at the end of each
> line.
>
> I expected line endings to be converted
> automatically.
>
> Can anyone enlighten me why this is happening ?
> Did I misunderstand the mechanism ? Is this expected
> behaviour ?
>
> Martin

Hi Martin,

The engine merely makes assumptions, based on the
platform it's running on ; so when a Revolution app
runs on a Mac, it will expect ASCII 13 as line
delimiter.
But when you feed it a Unix file on a Mac, it won't
recognise it as such (it has no way of guessing).

So I guess the easiest bit is to read as binfile, and
do a few replacements yourself :
  put URL ("binfile:" & tFilePath) into tData
  replace CRLF with return in tData
  replace numToChar(13) with return in tData

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

=====