Distribution builder question and comment on dox

Marian Petrides mpetrides at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 16 18:25:28 EDT 2004

This is intended to be a CONSTRUCTIVE comment on how to improve the Run
Rev dox.  Please take it that way.

I have been playing around with Distribution Builder.  In v 2.1.2 when
I am on the OS X tab on the last screen (the optional settings screen),
the top left box is entitled NAME:

I am hard pressed to figure out what name it refers to, since I set the
name of the standalone on the very first screen in the distribution
builder.  As far as I can tell the name I enter in the NAME: box on the
OS X tab ends up becoming the name of the default menu.  That alone
took me an hour's worth of experimentation.

I have looked through the online dox, the printed dox, and searched the
PDF dox.  I ALSO read Dan Shafer's book, which conveniently ends its
discussion of the Distribution Builder before you get to the final
screen (the optional setting screen on which the OS X tab is found).  I
can not find information about this last screen--the optional settings
screen--of the Distribution Builder anywhere.  And believe me, I have
spent beaucoup time trying to find it.

Two thoughts:

1)  Where DO I find information about the Optional Settings screen of
the Distribution Builder? Is it there or is it missing?

2)  This is an excellent example of a place where inclusion of screen
shots in the documentation is essential.  If each screen in the Rev IDE
were documented in the form of screen shots, then I would have been
able to find what I needed.  Or,  assuming the doxs inadvertently
failed to include this material, the writer of the dox would have
noticed the missing material and included it.

By the way, all of this jacking around has been by way of answering a
question I posed earlier today, which is how one uses the default
menu--in particular how one gets the About item from the default menu
to display a card containing information about the app and the Run Rev
logo.  Looks like I've spent about as much time as I care to trying to
figure out how to honor the request that I include this logo. Too
bad... I really wanted to help advertise Run Rev.

Marian