The seconds problem - redefined

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Thu Apr 15 17:34:11 EDT 2004

>>References? Previous employer, clients, testimonials? Gee - I woulda
>>thought you'd just trust me implicitly by now...
>
>Uh, I mean URLs that give me confidence that there really is such
>thing as Julian day.

Hi Dar,

Julian date routines have been a fixture of programming since at
least the 70's.  It was THE way of storing dates in sortable order
before seconds & dateItems.

Before Y2K, Julian dates were often stored as a five digit numbers,
YYDDD (eg: 1 Jan., 1993 = 93001).  My xTalk Julian handlers store
dates in a seven character string, YYYYDDD (eg: 31 Dec., 2004 =
2004366).

By retaining dates in Julian format, one can manipulate dates across
several centuries without having to deal with the centuryCutOff.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company