Some Basic Misunderstandings/Problems with RunRev - aka Help!

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Apr 15 05:39:42 EDT 2004

>David-
>
>Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 3:14:27 PM, you wrote:
>
>DB> I agree you can't modify a running app as such but you can do things
>DB> that make it look like you have modified it. I assumed that RunRev
>DB> was doing something like that.
>
><veering into dead horse territory>
>
>No you can't - not without storing things somewhere - either in the
>registry, in a preferences file, an external text file, a database...
>somewhere. You *are* talking about persistent storage here, right? Not
>just within the same session? If you've got some C code that allows
>you to store data persistently without saving it somewhere external to
>the running application, I'd sure like to see an example. This is why
>things like preferences files and registries exist, and either of
>those is pretty dang easy to do in rev.

Well, yes, obviously you have to store it somewhere! The point is
that to the user the App is modified, they don't know it's stored
somewhere else first and then transferred over into the App later
(when it's not being used).

I just thought that RunRev must be doing something like this. I was
wrong and it's handled in a different way, that's fine now that I
know.

All the Best
Dave