Windows defaut font gets messed up

Signe Marie Sanne signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Tue Apr 13 04:25:13 EDT 2004

At 16:04 08.04.2004 -0700, you wrote:

>Hey,
>
>First I gotta say that I love this mailing list because people are so
>helpful, so thanks everybody for making it a great list. Now hopefully that
>doesn't jinx me and somebody can help me out with this problem I am having:
>
>I have a potential customer who just reported to me that in my standalone
>rev app some of the text runs off the screen. He sent me a screen shot and
>basically what is happening is that all the text is being displayed in the
>wrong font. I have it set to the default font for Windows (MS Sans Serif I
>believe?), and on all computers I have tested it on the text shows up fine
>as it does on mine. But on his computer it shows up in a different font that
>is considerably bigger and the result is that many of the fields have text
>that runs beyond their bounds, all of the buttons look funny, and basically
>the whole app looks aweful.
>
>What is the deal? I thought everybody would have the default font. He is
>running Windows XP Pro. How do I avoid this problem?

Just back from Easter holidays... On XP they have changed the name of the
font to Microsoft Sans Serif, so even if the font in the Object inspector
says MS Sans Serif, this font will not be found on XP.

You have to check for the systemversion (Windows XP = NT 5.1) and then set
the font.

I regularly used MS Sans Serif on Windows, now I always use Verdana on Mac
and Windows, but still I have to check for the textsize and textheight on
both platforms.

Hope this reply does not come too late for you.

Regards
Signe Marie Sanne

1. amanuensis Signe Marie Sanne      e-mail: signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Romansk Institutt                            tel:  +47 55 58 21 27
Øisteins gt. 1
5007 Bergen             http://www.hf.uib.no/hfolk/mlab/hjem/default.html
Norway