Interface ground to a halt

Norman Winn norman at mrsystems.co.uk
Mon Apr 12 16:34:46 EDT 2004

Hi,

I am actually getting somewhere. I managed to create a large bunch of
buttons and get them cycling through the random colours.

Fortified with my success I decided to script the creation of an array
of rectangles, 62x25 of them.

This took rather a long time.

I have not yet worked out how to set the 'left' of my rectangles at
creation time so each row just got piled up on the same spot.  So, once
they had all been created, I tried to 'select all' with a view to
lining them up edge to edge (this is a great feature).

Unfortunately when I did 'select all' everything ground to a halt for
many minutes. Am I overloading things by doing this? Maybe rectangles
use more resources than buttons?

One problem is that I don't get the beach ball (OS X) to indicate
things are going on. The whole app just becomes inactive - but not
locked or crashed,

I got myself back to some normality by deleting the card with all those
troublesome rectangles on closing the stack:

on closeStack
   delete card "RectanglesCard"
end closeStack

Norman

PS I seem to remember, in perusing the docs, that there is a way to
refer to the object most recently created. If so, could someone remind
me of it, please.