Talking to a GPS unit over USB

Trevor DeVore trevor at mangomultimedia.com
Sat Apr 10 20:55:28 EDT 2004

On Apr 10, 2004, at 6:43 PM, Dar Scott wrote:
>> Rats, it looks like it isn't going to work .  driverNames() returns
>> empty.  There is a serial connection cable that I can get for it.  I
>> have a Keyspan serial->USB converter so I think I will pick that up
>> and give it a try.
>
> Rats.  I am surprised; the GPS protocols are based on a family of
> navigation standards that specifies serial.
>
> Here is an alternative to driverNames() that might come up with a
> different answer.  (I only know of driverNames() missing the built-in
> modem; if you see anything else in deviceNames() and not in
> driverNames(), please let me know.)

Thanks for passing along the function Dar.  That showed the modem but
not the GPS device.  I went through the connection settings on my
Garmin GPS unit and it looks as if the USB connection uses a
proprietary Garmin protocol.  I can select from multiple protocols with
a serial connection (I just don't have a serial connector yet) so I
will give that a try when I can get a hold of a serial cable for it.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia
trevor at mangomultimedia.com