Building reports - NTF reports features wanted!

Bill Humphrey bill at bluewatermaritime.com
Sat Apr 10 08:40:12 EDT 2004

The existing report builder in rev 2.2 is basically a label maker or card
printer. It does not have any design tools. If you want to print a PDF form
or even print some data on top of an existing form it would be very
difficult (no positioning tools for field outputs). There is also no way to
add a background tiff or PDF.

What are the work-arounds for this? Can rev 2.2 be combined with AppleScript
to send data to Acrobat Pro? I imagine you could have an Acrobat form for
each of the reports you need with fields labeled for the data and it would
always be running at the same time as your stack and you send the data to it
as needed.

Has anyone done this? I have an existing set of Hypercard stacks that use
NTF reports and I would like to convert it to runrev. I understand that
runrev chose not to buy NTF Reports and incorporate its power (or is that
something happening in the future?).

Would I be better off redesigning everything in filemaker pro or some other
program that has report building tools? I really like everything else about
runrev and want to use the program. My favorite thing is its Hypercard like
ability to make changes and tweaks as you use the program you built.