Hello from a Filemaker renegade

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Fri Apr 9 20:55:09 EDT 2004

On Apr 8, 2004, at 10:55 PM, Bruce Robertson wrote:

>> well multiple users accessing a database in a single tier enviroment
>> are realy matter of the RDBMS, if you settle for multi-tier then it's
>> easy to program it's logic.
>
> That's really not much of an answer, and that is one thing that
> continues to
> strike me about Rev database access discussions. They seem quite
> shallow and
> unrealistic.

I think you're being unfair to Andre here. Revolution is an
application-building tool that has robust database access. FileMaker is
a database-building tool that has limited application-building
capabilities.

As such, of course every aspect of database access is built-in to
FileMaker, and any reasonably skilled FileMaker developer is going to
be able to answer them in the context of FileMaker.

With Revolution, on the other hand, there are a thousand different ways
you could put together "a database application." People here have
outlined many of them. Many questions that would be relevant in a
discussion of developing database applications with FileMaker are a
matter of the database engine: record-locking, relation setup,
triggers, stored procedures, atomicity, consistency, isolation,
durability, etc.

Revolution makes the front end, and all the interactivity therein. So
your questions need to be divided into two categories: those that are
appropriate on this list, and those that may be appropriate on this
list, but might also belong on the MySQL, PostgreSQL... list.

I think you'll get a much better answer if you ask a question like this:

I have a fifteen-user FileMaker Pro database that uses instant web
publishing to allow casual users access when they're out of the office.
I want to create something similar using MySQL as a back end and I'm
considering Revolution as a front end. What issues do I need to be
aware of when deciding whether to use Rev or not?

regards,

Geoff Canyon
gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com