A beginner's journey

Norman Winn norman at mrsystems.co.uk
Fri Apr 9 05:26:16 EDT 2004

Hello again,

I have received such good response, both on and off list, from my
initial 'renegade from Filemaker' post that I am encouraged to continue
my journey into RR even though I have not yet made much progress.

If it is acceptable to the list I'd like to provide feedback of my
learning experience. I ask in this way as, being a reasonably
experienced programmer, much of my report will seem like criticism of
what, to many of you, will be your favourite tool.  I hope the
criticism is perceived as constructive. Here goes.

1. I was about to ask why there was no script colorisation in a
surprised that RR is one of those apps where there are real preferences
- and saved myself embarrassment in finding colorisation was there.
Then notices that I could colorise a script from the menu. I presume it
is simple to write a stack that applies colorisation to a set of
scripts?

2. I asked in a post why the 'Help' windows are not show under the
'Window' menu. I can accept the reasons why they are not but, in this
case, I feel they should be treated as separate from the app in respect
of 'Show', 'Hide' etc. Having said this I much prefer the RR help
system to the default one under OS X. Maybe clicking in a help window
could bring all help windows to the front, clicking in an app window
send all help to the back? These suggestions are largely the result of
the help, and the help system, being so good. One can end up with a lot
of help windows open.

3. Help again.  I am in 'Revolution Documentation' > Images &
Multimedia. When I get down to 'Definition of ...' I no longer get
explanation of items e.g. 'bit depth'.

3. It being so easy to assign keyboard shortcuts to menu actions, why
are these not shown for common RR actions? This one doesn't appear to
be in preferences.

4. This is perhaps nitpicking, but the statement (found in help on
'inverse') that, "square root is the inverse of squaring", is
mathematically untrue. Taking the square root of a rational can produce
a real. Squaring a real cannot produce a rational. Better would be
'subtraction is the inverse of addition'.

Let me know if this kind of stuff belongs elsewhere,

Norman