Relative Paths

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Wed Apr 7 20:03:17 EDT 2004

Hi Richard

> So for OS X, unless you move your external stacks inside the bundle
> (altering the path from what it had been in development, altering the
> user experience across platforms, and thereby requiring forked
> documentation for your product) you'll need to prepend your stackFiles
> to accomodate Apple's break from convention:

By having all external stacks inside your application bundle you are infact
maintaining the same relative path across all platforms and you don't need
to your stackFile altering script. The single clickable bundle is the
expected user experience on OS X. I'm not sure how you would need to fork
your documentation based on you application's files being inside the bundle.
Generally these files need no user interaction. Certainly it's not
appropriate to put files that need user interaction inside the bundle but
neither is it appropriate to place them next to the application on most
systems.

PS The new standalone builder places everything inside the application
bundle on OS X so you don't need to do anything special to handle paths.
Just keep everything relative to your application mainstack and your set.

Cheers

Monte