Convergence using find?

Glen Bojsza gbojsza at mac.com
Wed Apr 7 16:47:37 EDT 2004

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for converging to the nearest
number ( if the desired number doesn't exist) in a sorted field?

I have a field with 60,000 numbers sorted numerically and I have used
the find command in combination with a repeat loop to converge to the
nearest matching number.

One question I have does anyone know the find algorithm being used (is
it a Binary search where the field is constantly cut into half ...ie to
search for a number between 1 and 1,000,000 that is in a sorted field
this would take 7 loops to converge which is quite quick)

Currently I am trying...this works but is there another way?

on mouseUp
   put 20 into x
   repeat for the number of lines in fld "atest"
     find x in fld "atest"
     if the foundtext is empty then
     put x + 1 into x
   else