Hello from a Filemaker renegade

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Tue Apr 6 19:34:42 EDT 2004

Le 6 avr. 04, à 19:12, Bruce Robertson a écrit :

>>> 3. Are there functions, plug-ins, tool-sets to handle complex
>>> relationships, entity diagrams, data validation?
>>
>> Can't help on that for I do not understand what you're meaning... =/
>
> Those are all very basic database terms. The fact that they are
> unfamiliar
> and do not appear much in Rev database discussions suggests that the
> state
> of affairs in Rev database management is not very robust.

Hum,

Perhaps that from a strict technical point of view, it will always
seems more academic to "develop" networked apps in coding basic core
java or, more seriously, in using dedicated framrworks alike VP-UML,
Eclipse, Struts, Tile, Ant, XDoclet and tools like JBoss, TomCat, JSP's
and EJB 2.0, AndroMDA, Oracle and so on,... to get apps growing in
shared CVS repertories, as coded, along months, by 10 to 20 developpers
teams..., to get, to the end, apps that are going to run 60 times
slower than the ones that a designer will create and build, in the same
time, in using an Ultra High Level Langage, alike Revolution...

If you can get your project up in thinking it before starting to code
it, you will find lots of interesting things in learning how to get the
best from tools alike Metacard, Revolution (or, even, but in a lessly
mesure, by using PHP and Rebol). Else, it's probably best to choose the
low level technical way. It's not because the XP programming paradigm
is natively supported by Rev that anyone can see it nor need to get the
best from it...

Revolution is, as VHLL, core engine, IDE and framework, a developpement
tool built to let us manage and handle the more powerfull projects we
can think, including all the possibillities of the object-relational
mapping paradigm. But, sure that, just as an example, to drive and
manage, under Unix, PostgreSQL, Sybase ASE 12.5 or others ACID
compliant datawarehouse back-ends trough MC or Rev, it will need more
than just time and work...

Hope this can help,

--
Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

100, rue de Paris
F - 77140 Nemours

psahores (at) easynet.fr

GSM:   +33 6 03 95 77 70
Pro:      +33 1 41 60 52 68
Dom:    +33 1 64 45 05 33
Fax:      +33 1 64 45 05 33

Inspection académique de Seine-Saint-Denis
Applications et SGBD ACID SQL (WEB et PGI)
Penser et produire "delta de productivité"