I'm thinking of using Rev, can anyone advise?

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Tue Apr 6 10:04:29 EDT 2004

On 06.04.2004 14:17:47 use-revolution-bounces wrote:
>Hi Xavier,
>
>Thanks for your response.

RR users are revolutionary in terms of being helpful! ;)

>| Other than the preview and the pdf export which can
>| be coded separately and included in your app, it's all
>| possible.
>
>By "coded yourself", do you mean code in the
>Rev Language, or write a C++ dll to handle
>the calls?

you could script this in transcript maybe. Taking a screenshot
for the preview seems dubitable though. Translating to a pdf,
I couldn't tell you but just the codecs in use in pdfs should be
processor intensive... That's best done in an external.

>| You would have to implement multple undo's
>| yourself but it's easy.
>
>Well, that's good to hear. :-)
>
>How did you implement the multiple UNDO may
>I ask? Did you just sick all changes into
>a dynamic array?

That would the way. You can make them even persistent
via custom properties. The best and lightest way might be to
record field open/close instead of typing though. Eventually a
timed message to record changes might be very efficient but might
miss a few keystrokes (trivial!)

>| My ClipperX application does already most of the features you want...
>| http://monsieurx.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=86
>
>Hey, it looks nice!

You haven't seen the new web browser im making!

>| The one thing you cannot do is paragraphs with different indents/tabs
>| within one field.

>Do you mean that all paragraphs must have
>the same indents? Damn.

You could "simulate" different indents... But the user might edit them...

>OK, how about a work around... Can Rev display
>HTML tables? if so, I suppose I could
>use nested tables to obtain the same effect?

Yes and no. my new browser is the first I know that handles HTML tables
in RR. It does it via the tabstops which are set according to the width
of the tables. This requires tabs which your user can edit. However, if
you
look at the script editor, the annoying indentation routine prevents you
from
editing the indent... So it's possible to implement...

And for my next html trick:
<http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/04/06/1250224&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=95>