Another Area For Document Development

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Apr 6 00:48:13 EDT 2004

Judy Perry wrote:

> Right, but, again, I'd guess that most folks perusing RevNet aren't total
> programming newbies.

They wouldn't be if they took advantage of the goodies available through
RevNet. :)

> I don't find example stacks boring to make... but I'd probably find
> documentation not fun... still, the fun factor or lack thereof isn't
> necessarily an indicator of importance, is it?

No, merely an indication of why more tutorials aren't coming from the
developer community relative to the number of really great tools and
libraries.

I was looking at third parties because those are the only resources who
don't affect feature development, bug fixes, and other resource
requirements within RunRev.  In a world of finite resources such as we
live in, all efforts within an organization imply tradeoffs.

While tutorials are important, their importance relative to the features
they would displace differs depending on who you ask. In a world of
finite resources that's a practical consideration, one which may help
explain priorities to date.

It may be worth noting that different personality types will require
different levels of tutorials.  Most here on this list have been able to
reach competency with the learning materials currently available, while
some who might want to learn the product will require more, and others
still more, and some will never learn until the learning is delivered in
the form of pill or something else that requires no active effort. :)

Somewhere among all these personality types there's a point of
diminishing returns.  No matter how good the tutorials, there are only
so many people in the gene pool with sufficient interest to do
scripting, let alone learn it.  It's possible to go broke chasing after
other horses with a bucket of water who simply aren't thirsty.

I agree we're not at the point of diminishing returns yet.  But as we
request RunRev to displace feature development in favor of supplimental
learning tools we should be mindful of the implications, and choose an
appropriate balance.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation