Another Area For Document Development

Dave Calkins davecalk at surfbest.net
Mon Apr 5 06:38:17 EDT 2004

On Sunday, April 4, 2004, at 03:30  PM,
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> Subject: Re: How do I use a Tabbed Button???
> To: "How to use Revolution" <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
> Hi,
>
> I can send you an attachment off list  coverng all the areas that you
> cover
> in .  Let me know if you  want me to know by sending me an email
> offlist at
> pgilmartin at ermventures.net

Hi Guys,

The above question is one other example of areas where the
documentation is kind of lacking.
The documentation is excellent when it comes to the textual aspects of
the individual elements of RR. There is not much information on how to
put the elements together into useable programs.

Let me give examples of what I mean.

When you enter "Tab Button" into the Document Search Engine, no such
entry is found. This shows a basic problem. Why is a very common data
selection method like this not even mentioned. A simple discussion
about how to implement "Tab Buttons" should be addressed in the
documents.

There are many broad topics that are common to most programs. How to
implement them with RR should be something that is addressed in the
documents. Using simple tutorials for the most common usages of program
interfaces as well as for the most common types of programs RR is aimed
at  is a must. The documents should give step by step examples with
screen shots, etc. for these most basic elements; elements RR can able
to run circles around other programing tools.

Topics that should be in the documents:
Using tap buttons, developing a simple database, developing simple web
management / browser, using images, etc.

Doing a search on these topics will reveal "nothing found" in many
instances, to simple one card definitions in others. There is very
little information that will help beginners to begin developing
programs that deal with these common interfaces / application. The
tools are there in Rev to create these interfaces and applications
fairly simply. Part of the problem is that there is so much highly
detailed information in the documents about the elements of the engine,
the tools that we use to make it work, but there is not nearly as much
information about how to put those elements together to make it do
something that we want. (develop a database, access / transmit data
over the web, etc.) That is why so many people are asking these same
questions over and over again on this forum. (By the way, you guys are
great about sharing information with folks and attempting to answer /
solve peoples questions.) Giving examples on how to do these common
things with Rev will do several things.

1. It will helps people to help themselves. They will have samples
which they can work through and experiment with. It gives them terms
that they then can look up in the dictionary, etc. How many questions
do you see on how to build a menu? Not many.

2. It would help keep the old pros from burning out here on the this
forum. They don't have to keep answering the same type of question over
and over again. This can become frustrating because new folks are
always come in. I am truly amazed by how hard you guys work at helping
others solve their code issues. This is rare and is an example of how
dedicated people are to seeing RR succeed.

3. It would free up a great deal of time and energy toward being able
to explore more complex issues of getting Rev to work in other areas.
It would allow more thought to go into wanted / needed features. It
would also help develop working solutions, not only for problem areas
within the rev environment, but for new market areas for which RR
applications could be the ideal solution. Having to spend less time
helping users figure out how to do the typical things that programs and
interfaces do would help this forum delve a lot deeper into RR. That's
good for all of us.

The documentation as it is right now is like having an excellent
dictionary that defines all of the words. There are descriptions of
nouns, verbs, and pronouns, and how they work, and you can find a bit
of information on how to put the sentences together, but there is very
little is information provided on how to actually write the story. What
are the common elements that every story writer needs in order to be
able to develop his ideas? I'm not asking the write my story, but I do
need to see examples of the most common elements that every writer uses
to create a masterpiece.

If you give examples / tutorials in these broadly used areas you will
give people the tools to use Revolution to solve their own problems. By
the examples you give, they can see their own programs. Then they can
apply those techniques to their own applications. By reading the
documents, I can see that the tools are there to create and my
database, I just don't see how to put them together. Having the
documentation deal with these common elements will make them much
stronger as well as will make using them much easier to do. The
documents still will need to add to the visual, and kinesthetic aspects
in order to be truly powerful.

I am not asking the documentation to get into advanced levels and
details which apply to these areas. Advanced design issues can and
should be addressed in books like Dans ebooks, and on various web sites.

I have listed several areas that I feel would be beneficial to most new
users as they are learning how to apply RR to there projects. Adding
these to the documentation would give most people a starting place,
which they can then adapt their specific applications.

Using tap buttons, developing a simple database, developing simple web
management / browser, using images... These are topics that I think
need to be addressed in the documents. People should not have to ask
the forum about how to add and work with tab buttons.

Thoughts?

What other areas / topics should be addressed in the documents?

I'll post this to both lists, because I think it is relevant to both
groups.
Dave Calkins