2.2 WARNING - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Mon Apr 5 01:20:06 EDT 2004

Richard,

Roughly one third - roughly 60 controls.

I spent around 1 to 3 hours adjusting the offsets!

Note a big missing feature in the GM is the lack of
offset to an object by x pixels. And choosing an
object to offset to with the GM can be rather hard
given the long long menu of controls - and the req.
naming of all your controls to find it in that list!

Compared to the script editor which is rather complex,
and which I scripted by hand, it took half the time
to do with the GM. The Script editor has only 98
controls of which around 60 are moveable.

The hand script is rather large and complex! You have to
figure out a rule (top right to bot left, or similar).

Also count in the report time and the figuring out of
bug 1222 - about 1/2 hour to an hour. I tried in vain
to find the non-working mechanism. It may be easier now
seeing all the bug reports in the session.log file.

--

Economics of GM vs hand scripted:

I would say that beyond 100 controls in a stack, the
GM is much more performant. Below 100, the reliability
vs time to script of the hand scripted geometry is
superior but only on a single stack basis.

One awesome trick to limit the scripting is to keep
controls into a group. Resize the group and resize its
children to the group. This saves you about 1/2 of the
time in the scripting.

Trick number two - depending on stack structure - like
my discrete browser in the occurence is best scripted
with a general resizestack script that resizes the groups
and sends a message to each group to resize "itself". By
itself, I mean that each group has it's own resizestack
handler to which you send the message at the end of the
resizestack handler. This limits the number of resizes
operations based on the "view" and speeds things up a lot.

Although I have a GUI ready to implement yet another GM,
I haven't had the time to script it...

Pierre, the trick didn't do it...

-