Question about Linux Builder Requirements

A.C.T. albrecht at act-net.com
Sun Apr 4 05:26:08 EDT 2004

Moin, Richard,

> My very limited understanding of the various window managers is that
> each provides its own mechanism for the essential basics:
>
> 1. How does one automate these basic essentials when making an installer
> for Linux?

Short answer: The same way various libraries should be linked against
(see my inquiry for help at the very beginning: What libraries have to
be present?). Usually an application builder asks the developer which
library version to link against. It would be the same task here: Ask the
developer which window manager to support and create an installation
script for the desired target.

> 2. Are these mechanisms really different from window manager to window
> manager?  If so, have these various groups (GNOME, KDE, etc.) started
> work on a universal mechanism for these things?

They propably have had some cooperation somewhere somewhen. But as you
may know "cooperative development" is somewhat hard to find in the open
source world when dealing with "products in competition" :-(

Marc Albrecht
A.C.T. / Level-2
Glinder Str. 2
27432 Ebersdorf