new site layout [was] Re: Revolution 2.2

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 3 13:41:18 EST 2004

On Saturday, April 3, 2004, at 08:31  AM, A.C.T. wrote:

> The "standard" for newsfeeds is "RSS". It is a lot easier to parse a
> RSS feed than to load in a complete HTML page, looking for "DIV
> entries". Perhaps someone could put up a
> "Runrev-News-DIV-to-RSS-transceiver" to let the web community access
> the feed using everyday techniques ;-)

Hi,

The trick is to pull-parse the division tag-sets, ["<div
class="newsflash"></div>"], get the attributes that fit your query,
select the div sets that fit and transform the fragmented SGML/HTML to
read like proper Rev/HTMLText. A transformation process could create a
well-formed XML/RSS document and post it on a server I guess. There
isn't an extensible markup parser that can extract RSS from XHTML and
the XHTML would not be compliant if it contained well-formed RSS. Some
of it would even show up as badly placed text with your web browser.
I've been adding extensible MTML, non-SGML compliant tag-sets to my
HTML web pages for years without noticeable bad affects from most
popular browsers.

The rule with MTML is to not care what the w3 consortium is planning as
long as it works for now. An MTML tag-set must start and end in the
same document, anywhere that is. An MTML tag set can contain spaces
that are reserved for attributes in proper SGML, XHTML, and XML. As
long as your adding smart data gathering information to your web pages,
and we haven't reached the smart browser stage yet, anyone can do just
about anything they want these days.

my2cents

Mark