Question about Linux Builder Requirements

John Rule johnrule at rcsprogramming.com
Sat Apr 3 12:57:45 EST 2004

Marc,

I have not used the Revolution builder, but I have used the latest MetaCard
builder (same under the hood though). I am using RedHat 9 and Mandrake 9,
and I have had very good success (not excellent however). Building the
'.bin' file should result in a double clickable stand-alone, although I had
to change the preferences for the file to 'executable' (or something to that
effect). Here are my personal observations:

- Some very strange window behavior...things that work on Mac and Windows
don't work on Linux (some custom 'drag' handlers did not work, and
decorations had a trick to it).

- You need to watch your file names (Linux does not like 'Spaces'), but it
seems to be OK with folders. Background does not work at all...well, the
'background' is in front of everything else (so it is basically not useful
at all).

- The 'defaultFolder' is not what you expect, so you just parse the current
stack name to get the current directory.

- Sockets work fine except for broadcasting (not related to Revolution).

- No icon support for your stand-alone other than what Gnome or KDE
provides.

- Fonts are very minimal, and there doesn't seem to be support for TrueType.

It is pretty impressive, but I wish it was better...

It seems stable though  ;-)

JR