Saving encrypted customProperties outside the app?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Sep 30 15:18:01 EDT 2003

Rob Cozens wrote:

> I considered qualifying the remark with an analogy; but I believe
> there is a demonstrable difference between the concept of two
> handlers in a library and an encryption "product"...along the same
> lines as the difference between the collection of Rev socket commands
> and an IPC "product."

When I used "product" in my post I did so only to differentiate between a
proof-of-concept and a finished usable work.

Anything that requires consultation for installation and use will not be as
widely used as a library like libURL, documented and ready to go.

It's like Steve McConnel's summary of why a product takes an order of
magnitude more time to make than a tool:

  "With a tool, it only needs to be possible to
   use it correctly.  But with a product, it
   should be impossible to use it incorrectly."

Side note in praise of libURL:

libURL is one of the most beautiful, robust, flexible libraries I've ever
even dreamed of.  I've been using parts of it I've never used before for an
article I'm writing, and I've been pleasantly surprised to find so much in
it.  FTP downloads -- even with callbacks updating a progress bar -- perform
on par with Interarchy.  Who would have thought we'd see performamce like
that in a 4GL?

In more than a year of shipping WebMerge with FTP I've only had two support
issues related to that -- and both were in my code; libURL was doing its job
perfectly.

Hats off to everyone who contributed to libURL, esp. Dave Cragg for the
great options added in recent versions.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation