Unicode problem with Simplified Chinese - InDesign unhappy with binfile

Callum Brines cb at callum.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 29 09:51:00 EDT 2003

>On Friday, September 26, 2003, at 12:39 PM, Callum Brines wrote

>>  put uniEncode(gTagFile,"SimpleChinese") into gTagFile
>>
>>  and then write gTagFile to disk.
>>
>>  When the tagged file is imported into InDesign,  the Chinese
>>  character E4B88A (UTF8; 4E0A Hex) is appearing as E4B88D (4E0D Hex).
>>  All the other Chinese characters are okay.

On Saturday, September 27, 2003, at 01:31 AM, Dar Scott wrote

>You should use binfile.
>
>If you are writing to the file, you should be using binary instead of
>text in 'open file'.

Thanks Dar. I tried binfile but unfortunately InDesign will not
import the resulting file with error "There is no filter for the
requested operation".

For the moment I will have to replace the E4B88A character in my
source files with a holding character before running the files
through my Rev formattting program, and then use search and replace
in Indesign to reinsert the correct character at the other end.

My worry is that over much longer stretches of text than the small
sample I've been working with till now, other Chinese characters may
be scrambled by the uniEncode function which would cause me serious
problems. If I find a workaround for the problem I'll let you know.

Thanks again

Callum