transparent graphic with border visible, windows

Rodney Tamblyn rodneytamblyn at paradise.net.nz
Sun Sep 28 09:39:01 EDT 2003

Just shifted my Virtual Exhibition system from OSX to Windows... and
surprise! I've got a problem....

Can anyone tell me how to make a transparent graphic with visible
border on Windows (It's easy on Mac).  The graphic needs to be "opaque"
so it will capture mouse clicks, but obviously I want it to show what's
underneath, so the ink will in fact make it transparent apart from the
border.

I've tried all the obvious combinations and nothing works.  The only
solution I can see is:
(1) use an image instead (eg small white gif), scale it to desired
rectangle and set blend level
(2) use two graphics, one with noop ink (transparent) and a second to
show the border.

Please tell me there's a better way....

Thanks.

Rodney