Installing Lindows?

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Fri Sep 26 14:32:01 EDT 2003

Barry,

I'm sorry you didn't read the whole of my labored message at:

http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit/Lindows/AnbspCasenbspfornbspLindows.htm

In particular...

Lindows -Try it, you'll like it

So, I'm interested, but don't really have the time to install Lindows (you
know, create a partition, install it, debug it and figure out 10 hours later
you really can't use it). But, it turns out I don't need to do all this. In
fact, I can run Lindows from a bootable CD-ROM totally in RAM, called
"LindowsCD." I don't even need a hard drive. I can check out quickly if
Lindows will run on my computer, without the headaches associated with Linux
installs.

I order a copy of the LindowsCD, put it in a bunch of my computers (three at
home and three at work) and WOW! It runs on ALL of them. It recognizes the
wireless card on two of the laptops (even XP didn't do that!). Connected my
USB drive and it showed up on the desktop immediately. Lindows also found my
WinXP shares on my LAN. And the amazing part is I can navigate around the
desktop interface, just like Jerry said, because it's so Windows like.

Next, I get a copy of the Lindows4.0 CD, use Partition Magic to create a
single new unformatted partition after my XP partition, and install Lindows
on my hard drive. (More on the install later.)

The LindowsCD runs in RAM. It is not a LindowsOS installer. That is what
Lindows4.0 CD does. But, with the LindowsCD you can test out Lindows to see
if it will run on your machine w/out going through the headaches of
partitioning and installing.

Regarding application installation:

If you decide and purchase the Click-N-Run option, then application installs
are as simple as a single click of the button. No labored compiles or
console commands.

best,

Chipp

  Okay, the boot CD does boot but how does one actually install it? Whatever
resources are on the CD simply lock up the "My Computer" window as well as
the "File Manager" app. At this point, Lindows an amusing party trick but if
I can't install it and see how it runs from a HD, it's not a very effective
sales tool.

  BTW, the .iso image is an older build (4.0.471); 4.0.58...something is the
latest. Not meaning to be too harsh but were we given the equivalent of an
AOL CD?

  Chipp, please feel free to pass along my comments to the Lindows folks.
I'd love to try it and even try building an app for it but I'm dead in the
water right now.

  One other question: I saw a comment here on the list about how a *nix
distribution requires some sort of additional "build, etc." once it's
sitting on a user's HD. Does this mean that it would require a user to
possess *nix knowledge to install an app I build in Rev beyond "double-click
this installer" or "drag this to your hard drive"?