Saving encrypted customProperties outside the app?

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Fri Sep 26 12:04:01 EDT 2003

On Friday, September 26, 2003, at 10:10  AM, Robert Hyde wrote:

> So does anyone know of a good way to save custompropertyset
> information in a data file separate from the app itself in such a way
> that it would require something akin to a password to get to it even
> within Rev?  I may be overlooking something painfully obvious, but I
> just can't think of anything.

I don't think you are overlooking anything obvious.

>  I really appreciate any suggestions at all.  Thanks!

I read somewhere that the Rev password mechanism uses an encryption
scheme that only works with text. I wonder why? Anyways I guess that's
why it skips custom properties but encrypts scripts. Does it encrypt
custom properties that are textual? I guess it would *have to* to
otherwise fld text properties and control script properties would not
get encrypted at all.

Couple of ideas

* If Rev does encrypt custom properties that are textual, then you
could use base64encode()and base64decode() to convert binary custom
properties into textual ones.

or

* Mark Brownell has written a Blowfish encryption engine in transcript.
You could use blowfish to encrypt the entire data stack, instead of
using Rev's password scheme.

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com