Lindows...

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Fri Sep 26 04:08:00 EDT 2003

On Friday, September 26, 2003, at 01:05  AM, xbury.cs at clearstream.com
wrote:

> After talking to our guru, Lindows just happens to be a paying version
> of
> a reduced debian distro.
> The author may have been involved in a scam web site earlier too...
> Sounds
> like another Bill Gates
> wannabe to me...
>
> Well marketed though. For those interested there is more on
> www.cnet.com.
> In brief, they
> say you have little control over the installation. But it's easy to
> install. Has KDE is in but no Gnome.
>
> Getting non click'n'run apps may be a problem zone. And the Click'n'run
> will make the OS much
> more expensive in the long run. There's no office suite which is avlb
> in
> other distros and if you dont
> have an ADSL, it gets costlier.
>
> Most innapropriate is the fact that you have to pay for any other
> program.
> Which is good
> for us revolution developpers but as a user, is not a good feature.
> Very
> limiting.
>
> Compatibility with other rpms may also be another wall...

Xavier thanks for the info.

But please do not lose sight of the main point with Lindows- it's not a
distro for the Linux geek! This is for people who don't know or care
about kernel 2.x, Debian, KDE, Gnome, RPM, slashdot, etc.

They sell Lindows preloaded computers at WAL-MART for goodness sake (in
the U.S, WAL-MART is this giant superstore that attracts the most
average, typical, dumbest U.S. consumer there exists).

The LindowsCD does come with OpenOffice BTW - at least there is a menu
item for it, I didn't launch it.

I see Lindows mainly as a marketing conduit- if I were running Linux
day to day I would probably go with Redhat just because that's what I
know. Although Knoppix is way cool for CD bootable.

I saw an article somewhere that Seagate (disk drive mfg) is going to be
pre-loading Lindows onto their disks at the factory!!. Maybe I
hallucinated that one... can't find the article now.

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com