looping music between cards

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Sep 25 12:55:00 EDT 2003

Recently, "Rob Gould"  wrote:

> I'd lke to create a cross-platform app that has looping music between a couple
> of the cards (3 cards out of 8).  Then, after the user moves to a card that is
> not intended to have music, I'd like the music to fade out.
>
> In my initial attempt, I used QT and put a QT player object (hidden offscreen)
> to play the music.  This almost worked, except that for some reason, Rev makes
> this "rectangle animation" occur when first landing on the card.  This
> rectangle animation seems to be the QT player moving itself off-stage.  If I
> remove the QT player object, the animation goes away - - - strange.
>
> Right now, I've got the looping sound file as a small .AIF file.  Can anyone
> tell me what my options are?  This application is coming from an URL off of a
> web-server, so it may be best to stream the audio - - - I'm not sure at this
> point.

Looping audio in Rev is currently somewhat problematic.  When using a
player, there will often be a brief, audible pause when the track loops,
which some folks have attributed to QuickTime.  In my experience, you can
get better looping results when using an imported sound file (WAV), instead
of an external file via a player, but this is still not 100% reliable and
the only way to do fades is to change the system volume level.  It also
seems some issue with the playStopped message has reared its ugly head
again, so making scripts that respond to audio termination can be difficult.

IMO, audio in Rev is long overdue for an overhaul and enhancement.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design