EBCDIC to ASCII converter

Joel Rees joel at alpsgiken.gr.jp
Thu Sep 25 01:44:00 EDT 2003

> Has anyone maybe created a converter for EDCDIC files to plain ASCII? I know
> there are several available as C-routines and conversiontables are available
> on the web, but why invent the wheel several times....

I know I'm not being helpful here, but several questions come to mind,
like, which EBCDIC?

But for my own interest, I'm wondering how much of a hit on speed one
would take to do the conversion in metatalk, as opposed to using an
external library written in C?

As a suggestion, one thing I like to do when moving conversion tables
from one language to another is write a short program in the language
the table exists in to output the source code for the table in the
target language. That way, you don't have to worry about muscle-eyeball
coordination error.

--
Joel Rees, programmer, Systems Group
Altech Corporation (Alpsgiken), Osaka, Japan