Rev Player

Peter Reid preid at reidit.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 16:04:01 EDT 2003

>I have one for my own needs, but I think a player for general use should
>come from the mother ship to maximize standardization and distribution.
>
>Just curious:  What would you like to do with a player than couldn't be done
>as a standalone?
>
>Richard Gaskin

I have produced a small number of CBTs for a UK government
organisation who need to validate all executables for security
reasons.  Supplying a single player with add-on stacks makes life
easier in this respect. It is easier to persuade public sector
customers that they are only running a single program with
downloadable modules than it is to say they need to allow an
increasing number of new executables.  They get twitchy about the
security implications of new EXE files!

Also, it minimises network traffic if each client workstation has a
single player installed which is set up as the helper-app within the
browser so the user can download any of a number of CBT stacks
without having to download the player engine each time or have to
decide what to do with an executable (with attendant "security
warnings" from their browser!).

Cheers

Peter
--
Peter Reid
Reid-IT Limited, Loughborough, Leics., UK
E-mail: preid at reidit.co.uk
Web: http://www.reidit.co.uk