QT Player only?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Sep 23 10:56:00 EDT 2003

Graham Samuel wrote:

> The issue can be a straightforward one about a user community. A
> typical user scenario for me is a small school with PCs only (no
> Macs) and no dedicated IT technician and maybe not even broadband
> Internet access. Selling these guys software and then telling them
> they have to download something from the Internet to make it work is
> bad news - and distribution of QT on CD by the software publisher
> involves them (I believe) in fairly onerous agreements with Apple
> (like agreeing to distribute updates).

In my reading, that clause is to prevent the license from being used to
cover major updates, but I'm no attorney.  I sent a question off to Apple's
QT list seeking clarification on that one.

My favorite is the requirement to send Apple two copies of your product.  I
doubt they have time or interest to even look at one, and as a shareholder I
feel it's a departure from Apple's core market to get into the storage
business. ;)

But on the flipside, while jumping through the hoops is merely silly and
inconvenient it cost nothing more than a few minutes' time.

You can grab the license at:
<<http://developer.apple.com/mkt/swl/quicktime.html>>

--
 Richard Gaskin