QT Player only?

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Sun Sep 21 17:03:01 EDT 2003

Hi Barry,

> Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:41:32 -0600
> Subject: Re: QT Player only?
> From: Barry Levine <themacguy at macosx.com>
>
> Scott,
>
> According to the docs, once you display a QT Player object, QT loads.
> Here the quote:
>
> The following actions cause QuickTime to be loaded into memory:
> • Displaying a player object
> • Playing an audio clip or video clip
> • Recording sound using the record sound command
> • Using the recordFormats function or the answer record command
> • Using a visual effect with visual effect, show, hide, or unlock
> screen
> • Using the answer effect command or QTEffects function
> • Using the QTVersion function
>
> I guess I'm not grokking the difference between a player object and a
> videoClip or how to even control a "vc".
----------
Grokking? Gee, I haven't heard that in 20+ years ;-)

Anyway, I'd say controlling a VC when using QT could be done with the
'answer record' command, because...

"When an audio clip or video clip is playing, a temporary player is created
for it."  from the VC Messages section of the Main Docs.

HOWEVER, if you have don'tUseQT prop set to true, then I have no idea how
you would control, say, MS MediaPlayer stuff, if it is the default player on
a Windows/PC system.

So, does anyone have a clue how to write control settings, spec files, etc.,
for MS/MP? What are the default settings?

Ken N.