Bug submissions, Feature requests and Voting

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 19 07:17:00 EDT 2003

Hi All,

I figured I'd better put in my two eurocents' worth
before the end of the discussion this time ;-)

Frankly, I think voting on bugs is a _bad_ idea. Not
only does this send the wrong message (if you have a
problem, you better lobby around for enough votes) but
unless it is balanced out by the severity of the bug,
it's not going to be of much help.
However, I do understand that it should be deemed less
important to dig around in an obscure corner of the
engine or a library that hardly anybody uses ;
especially if there is a work-around (which reminds me
that it would be good if there were a central place
for these ; and I don't mean the list archives)

What I would much rather see, is a general enquiry to
find out what people are using Revolution for (right
now / in the near future / further down the road) and
what areas they use most and least (XML, Internet,
Database, other libraries).
This profile can then be used to gauge interest in
specific fields : those who work a lot with Databases
might be contacted and asked to submit ideas for input
checking and output formatting ; multimedia buffs
might help revamp the animation manager ; etc.

Voting should then be reserved for feature requests,
so we can share our views on what we really need and
what would be helpful but isn't all that urgent.
And feedback in the form of a roadmap with these
features would be much appreciated, so that we have
some vague idea of what to expect ; and then the
lobbying can start ;-)

This roadmap is not meant to steal RunRev's thunder in
any way when they're preparing a major new function
and want to keep it under wraps ; nor is the feedback
round per library meant to push them into development
cycles that go off the charts.
This is one guy's opinion ; and I'm sure everyone has
their set of bugs they really want to see fixed first,
as well as a list of features they'd like to see added
soon.
It's up to our friends in Schotland to strike a
balance.

Best regards,

Jan Schenkel.

=====