Variable Watcher bug

Neil Phillips shrap at geko.net.au
Thu Sep 18 21:53:30 EDT 2003

I've just bought the Studio Edition 2.1 and something very strange is
happening in the Variable Watcher.

I'm running the program on a Mac G3 in system 9.2.2.

The actual effect of the script is fine but what's going on in the Variable
Watcher beats me. To clarify what's happening I made a one button one field
stack with the button script as follows:

on mouseUp
  put empty into fld 1
  put "a" into Va
  put "b" into Vb
  put Va&return after fld 1
  put Vb&return after fld 1
end mouseUp

When I run the script with a breakpoint I get the following.

When I step into 'put "a" into Va' the variable watcher is:

Left column		Right column
			mouseU
mouseU			Va,Vb,tNames,mouseU
tNames
Va
Vb

As I step through the script on some occasions it will simply put "a" in
the right coulumn next to tnames and "b" next to Va.

This may be related to bugs 377 and 378 in Bugzilla.

However this is not an end to the weirdness.

I noticed that something I was doing was causing the script to step forward
even when the cursor was nowhere near any of the buttons at the bottom of
the script window. What I discovered that there was a kind of hot spot over
the word "after" on either of the last two lines of the script. I tried
replacing "after" with "into" and this did not cause the unwanted stepping
into. However, when I replaced "into" with "before" the script stepped on
as it did with "after".

As this unwanted stepping throught the script happened the variable watcher
became completely scrambled.

I opened the stack in Revolution 2.0.1 and the Variable Watcher worked
perfectly.

I am no expert on Revolution but this can't be right.

I think this is related to bugs 377 and 378 in Bugzilla but I am not sure.

Anyone else with a similar problem.

Cheers,

Neil