Comunication COM1: and a CNC milling machine (timeout?)

Stephen Quinn Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Thu Sep 18 14:16:00 EDT 2003

Welcome to the world of machine interface. I've done this sort of
thing a lot, in fact my first hypercard project was a
software-hardware interface to a bank of 128 cassette machines in
1988. And I built the hardware end as well and it was still difficult
to get them to talk to each other.

It's a bitch.

Even at slow rates, you'll find yourself ripping your hair out at the
unresponsiveness of old serial interfaces. Many of them run without
handshaking of any kind. Sometimes the connections fail and you have
to restart both the target machine and the computer. You'll find
yourself padding commands with delays just to get stuff to work.

And if you don't know the right commands, you could be out of luck.

One thing I might suggest is that you hook up the machine with it's
regular controller, but tap the send line with a breakout box and
attempt to view the commands that are sent with a terminal program
(instead of Rev for now). If echo is set on the target device you
should see both ends of the 'conversation'. This will give you a
start.

After that testing commands using a terminal program rather than rev
will speed up your development. Sometimes people who write the
imbedded software for controllers will put in a help menu - try
sending an "H" to the controller.

And if you have to develop this thing with your dad in the room, it
will take forever. What you need is your own machine on your own
bench to do this in your own time. I've found that working at a
distance is almost impossible with this kind of project.

Plan on spending a LOT of time on this one. The REV interface will be
the fun and easy part.

good luck

sqb