Comunication COM1: and a CNC milling machine (timeout?)

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Sep 17 14:09:00 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, September 17, 2003, at 05:37 AM, dave at b-i-s.org wrote:

> It could be that using "until end" simply returns an empty rs232
> buffer regardless of
> data, whereas "until empty" transfers data out of the buffer until
> it's....er.....empty.

Some clarity and enhancements would be nice here.  I think for serial
these are the same, but it might be great if not in general.  I'd like
"empty" to mean "the buffer is empty" and "end" to mean "the channel is
closed".  With that, "end" would not be meaningful or would be very
rarely meaningful with serial; I wouldn't mind if it means the same as
"empty" in that case.

I suspect what Malte is running against is that the mill had no time to
respond.  A short delay might provide some or all of the response.

Dar Scott