Comunication COM1: and a CNC milling machine (timeout?)

Malte Brill malte.brill at t-online.de
Wed Sep 17 06:00:01 EDT 2003

Hi List,

my dad asked me if I could build an app. that stores the Programs of his CNC
milling machine on his Windows PC. I promised him to try it.

The Machine is connected with the computer on com1 and seems to be sending
plain text.

So I walked through the Dictionary and set up the following:

I set the serialControlString to:

baud=300 parity=E data=7 stop=1

(Looking at the old DOS program he has, thats what the machine needs)

I created a button:

on mouseUp
  put empty into fld "fehler"
  open file "COM1:" for read
  put "opened"&cr into fld "log"
  read from file "COM1:" until end
  put "reading done"&cr after fld "log"
  put the result into fld "Fehler"
  put it into fld "Ausgabe"
  close file "COM1:"
  put "closed"&cr after fld "log"
end mouseUp

When I hit the button, it instantly reports EOF in fld "fehler".
How do I tell Revolution to wait until the data is sent by the CNC milling
machine? Can I set a timeout somehow to wait let´s say for about 2 minutes?

Any help is greatly apreciated!

Regards,

Malte