Pros and cons of where to store image data

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Tue Sep 16 19:43:00 EDT 2003

Hi Erik,

>  > one can replace the
>>  image library stack without modifying the
>>  working stack.
>===
>two queries:
>1. is there any trade-off downside to libraries?

Yes, all images in the library are loaded in RAM with the library.

>2. are icons in buttons any different?

In general, an icon image and the appearance of a button using the
image appear different: the borders don't look the same.  However the
appearance of a button whose icon is set to the id of an image will
be same regardless of whether the image is imported into the stack or
referenced from a library.

>better make that three:
>3. if one somehow copies all of the icon images
>from a stack to a library stack, then erases
>the originals, should that run o.k.?
>it would be great to be able to change
>the icon images as you progress.

I think I did just that somewhere in the early evolution of
Serendipity Library...shortly after I had occasion to have to change
an image.  In Serendipity Library I took it the extra step of
referencing all the images instead of importing them into the
library.  Now I can "instantly" change all images by switching
libraries, or change one image by replacing the image file in the
folder.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company