UI Question / Browse Type Object

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Mon Sep 15 10:49:01 EDT 2003

>I am developing database apps on OS X and was wondering what people
>do for the typical database scenario where the user needs the
>ability to scroll thru a list of records (I call it a "browse") to
>select a record to view/edit/delete?

Hi Brian,

Here are some approaches I use:

1.  Maintain a scroll field in the stack on-the-fly by updating the
field with each addition, deletion, or change to displayed
information.  Limitation: not suitable for active multi-user dbs.

2.  Ask the db to return paired lists of specified record content and
the corresponding record ids.  Display the first list in a field with
a mouseUp handler along the lines of

	loadARecord line (word 2 of the clickLine) of field "Record Ids".

Limitation: server O/H accessing all records.

3.  Display a search dialog that fetches & displays
all/next/someQuantity of matching records for the user to select
from.  This uses Transcript's Find command, and is reasonable fast--I
have test dbs up to 20K+ records & 20+MB.  In addition, in
Client/Server mode each hit is returned to the client, which in turn
issues another Find starting at the new location.  This reduces the
potential for searching a large range of records from locking out
other clients...however this is still a potential problem as the
entire range will be searched in one operation if the target text is
not found.

The search dialog will be included in the next release of Serendipity
Library.  If you'd like a copy or a screen shot of the search
subStack, let me know privately.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company