[OT] browser plugin patents - warning!

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 13 11:17:01 EDT 2003

On Saturday, September 13, 2003, at 08:44  AM, Dar Scott wrote:

> Besides, there is no evidence that I know how to read a patent.

Me to. I can read one but you had better not depend on what I think it
means.

> Yes.  Yet the mention of Hypercard in the background might contribute
> to a broad interpretation of what a hypertext document is.

In the background section of the patent there is a lot of definition
stuff about what a hypertext document is and what a what a hypermedia
document is.

> The whole thing contributes to an environment in which there is a fear
> to innovate.

FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) it's a tried and true tactic. This
whole thing directly effects my MTML project. I may need to drop the
auto next feature for sound and video in my new MTML browser
applications. I was using a href="soundAuto=audiofile.wav" /a tags to
create auto play tags that auto execute a go to next. This might be
seen as using a form of the patented process. I liked the feature. I
will have to read the whole patent. My idea goes to the next page, an
MTML "<page> HTML / MTML here </page>" after the sound or video is done
playing.

Mark