Space bar triggers QT players on Windows only

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Fri Sep 12 13:05:18 EDT 2003

I have a gadget that is a transcriber for audio "talking head" files
(lectures, interviews by reporters, discourses, etc.) with a QT player
set up on the card interface and a field for typing the transcription.
There are a variety of other controls for the user to ease his job,
chose the file, FTP the transcript to our server here etc. This was
ported from Supercard and has been in use for nearly 8 years, but
restricted to Mac only remote staff/helpers.

One of the important controllers is a set of buttons for stop, rewind,
forward and resume.. cmd 1,2,3,4 respectively. These work great...

But, now we have a big problem on the windows side. Even though I have
the traversalOff set for the player... if the users hits the space bar
(inevitable because he is transcribing what he hears and has to put a
space between each word) this toggles the player to stop and start!
i.e. overriding the controls I set up. This does not happen on the Mac.
Any known work arounds to disable the space bar response on Windows?

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery
katir at hindu.org