Modality redux

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Sep 11 16:05:00 EDT 2003

> I finally tracked down where the "hang" was occurring in my app. I had
> something a little strange in my code for a particular routine and this
> appears to have caused something "really bad" to happen when the app
> was compiled. The two commands in the menubar near the offending lines
> of code would initiate the problem but only if the Quit menu item was
> chosen in the middle of the modal dialogs. Specifically, I removed one
> "if" statement and the matching "end if" (about twenty lines down from
> there) and the problem seems to have disappeard. I still think it's the
> "lack of modality" bug because, if modality was enforced by Rev, this
> would not have occurred.

This reinforces the necessity of testing problems outside the domain of
one's stack.  When running up against problematic behavior, it is
significantly useful to create a test stack whose only goal is to serve as
test bed for recreating a problem situation.  More often than not, I've
found that where I thought Rev/MC was guilty of doing something wrong, the
problem turned out to be my own code. :-)

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design