cgi-engine does not run

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Wed Sep 10 20:26:00 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, September 10, 2003, at 06:40  PM, Björnke von Gierke
wrote:

> Well the revolution engine demands some additional installations, as
> the link provided in the read me leads into the void I was unable to
> load the first one, and didn't bother with the x11 install. As the MC
> cgi engine runs (up until the stupid save issue) I am not gonna try to
> locate the file on the web.

OK I forgot you hadn't installed dlcompat and X11. That's probably what
you ran into and why the mc engine works for you but the revolution
engine does not.

> Phfff I am not gonna look at this file in the terminal!

Unix hater eh

Anyways, I was wrong about Finder. Choose Go menu | Go to Folder, and
type in the folder /var/log/httpd.
Safari can do it to, and it opens a Finder Window for you.
TextEdit.app, or any other OS X app can read the file too, just the
file into the Open File dialog.

>  Stupid apple could really think a little before doing things like
> that!

I respectfully disagree; it's a standard location for httpd logfiles.
You wanna use the BSD tools like Apache then you are going to have to
be more open minded.

If you want a nice easy GUI around Apache then you are welcome to fork
over $2,000 for OS X Server. :-)

Although I don't remember where OS X server puts it's Apache logfiles.
Probably /var/log/httpd also, but it probably has a LogFileReader.app
or something.

> Anyway due to the tip from Monte Goulding I am now in the possession
> of a gui tool to read all the log files =D
> And the log files show:
> Nothing
> there is no error as the script executes just fine, beside the save
> not doing anything.

Just to clarify: You were getting a Server Error (error 500) then you
positively should be able find out more information about the Server
Error by looking in error_log.

I think "save not doing anything" is a separate issue. error_log is for
http errors, which includes the STDERR output from the script, which
may or may not be useful debugging certain scripts and whether they act
a certain way...

> Oh and typing ./guestbook.cgi in the terminal just hangs until I press
> ctrl-c ( I know a unix command *does little dance*)

Yes the second line in your startup handler is "read from stdin until
empty". When executed from the command-line, the script is just waiting
for stdin. ctrl-c interrupts the script. pressing ctrl-D instead would
send an EOF to stdin, and the script and it would interpret that as
stdin is read in, and continue executing. (I think) - I haven't tried
it.

Hope this helps,

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com