cgi-engine does not run

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Sep 10 19:37:01 EDT 2003

Speaking of CGI....

I've had some issues with my Linux hosting company when they tried to update
the server.  They don't offer Telnet for security reasons, but have been
kind enough to work with me through the slower process of each of us asking
the other "What does this mean?" ;)

Their latest question was about MC quitting unexpectedly, with this email
from their tech dude:

    We spent some time trying to get mc (or MetaCard) to
    function on the new environment.  We do have the
    two X11 libraries installed on the server.  However,
    when attempting to execute the mc cgi, an error
    message is generated.  This is "invalid magic number".

What does that mean?

I might guess it's referring to a reg code, but I'm not setting the scripts
of objects or anything else that would involve script limits. In fact, it
happens when running any script on that server, yet the same MC setup on
their older configuration works great.

Any clues?

--
 Richard Gaskin