New Stacks

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Wed Sep 10 12:40:01 EDT 2003

Richmond,

You need to be careful with your if/else statements. I ran your code
below for getting "the processor" on my WinXP PC and it turned up "Old
Fashioned Macintosh". Your code:

on mouseDown
  if the processor = "x86" then put "MicroSoft Windows OS" into field
"M"
  if the processor = "unknown" then put "Unix OS" into field "M"
  if the processor = "Motorola PowerPC" then put "Power Macintosh" into
field "M"
  else put "Old-Fashioned Macintosh" into field "M"
end mouseDown

would be better in a switch statement:

on mouseDown
  switch (the processor)
    case "x86"
      put "Microsoft Windows OS" into fld "M"
      break
    case "unknown"
      put "Unix OS" into fld "M"
      break
    case "Motorola PowerPC"
      put "Power Macintosh" into fld "M"
      break
    case "Motorola MC68000"
      put "Old Fashioned Macintosh" into fld "M"
      break
  end switch
end mouseDown

HTH,