Fuzzy Copyright

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Sep 10 08:59:00 EDT 2003

Mathewson wrote:

> On the MC use-list there has been a recent discussion about
> a possible port of the RR2.1. Transcript Dictfor MC
> users.......
>
> would I be breaking laws, copyrights, whatever, were I to
> prepare a port?

I have no opinion on copyright issues, but to bypass such discussions
altogether I've been advocating a non-content approach for distributing
alternative shells for the TD.

Here's an interim solution for MC folks that I posted to the MC list this
morning:

Paste this in the Message Box:

  go url "http://fourthworld.com/rev/channel/4wTranscriptDict.mc"

It's a very basic shell for the contents of the Transcript Dictionary.  It
has a Builder button that has you point to Rev's Transcript Dictionary, and
then it pulls the content out and builds something that sorta looks like
MC's MetaTalk Reference but more complete.

Being a shell only it contains no copyrighted content, relying on the
content you already have on your drive.  And by migrating the content
without the code, no complicated glue routines are needed as would be if you
tried to open Rev's Transcript Dictionary in MC.

It ain't pretty, but it's functional, small, and was assembled with minimal
effort.  I've been using it all day and helps me appreciate Jeanne's writing
that much more...

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation