Programming runrev-externals with realbasic

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Mon Sep 8 17:56:00 EDT 2003

On Monday, September 8, 2003, at 04:01  PM, Thomas Fuerstner wrote:

> I know this sounds a little bit heretically but is it possible to write
> externals with realbasic? Theoretically it should be possible because
> realbasic is a compiled language.
>
> It would be pretty cool to combine the advantages of both development
> environments especially under mac os x.

Old hypercard manuals mention Pascal for building externals. If Pascal
was possible, I suppose realbasic should be possible. You would have to
get realbasic to call C functions, and produce a library file (.bundle
or .dll) and instead of an executable.

IMHO if it were possible, there would be little benefit to using
realbasic to author Rev externals. Runrev is also a compiled language,
but it compiles at run-time, similarly to Java with it's "JIT" and
"hotspot" compilation. In my experience, realbasic is no speed demon.

Hope this helps,

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com