On the topic of XML-RPC, input needed...

revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Sat Sep 6 20:21:01 EDT 2003

Hi Andre,

I applaud your momentum on this.  I followed the discussions on XML-RPC vs SOAP a couple of years ago, and I have a lot of sympathy for the use of XML-RPC too.

Apropos the two choices for a Rev XML-RPC server as a) a Rev http daemon or b) a CGI process.

On the side of the CGI approach:
a) there are many webservers available (and some are small and fast, like thttpd), and this approach will offer the most permutations in terms of other requirements one might have from such a process (maybe the functionality they want is only available with a particular web server).
b) it seems like writing a http daemon in Rev is re-inventing the wheel.  Advocates of differing programming languages produce demos of such functionality - often in a few lines - just to show that they can do it.  But these demos are always very limited.  If one wants to incorporate more bells and whistles into this Rev http daemon, that is going to be a lot more work (e.g. security issues, performance)

On the side of doing it as a daemon:
a) pure Rev, so (theoretically) we don't have to understand or configure any other software to use it
b) truly cross-platform

I think your enthusiasm for "rediscovering the desktop after the web boom" is one that is shared by many people here.

In my opinion, what you are doing is very significant.  I'll offer you any assistance I can, although I am a long way from being a Rev guru -- or guruess :-)

Whichever way this goes, we will all learn a lot (about XML-RPC and either sockets or cgi)

Regards, Bernard